Sunday, January 11, 2009

the year that was...2008

Close to 100 A-grade movies were released in 2008 and I've seen about 90% of them...which is a lot. Sitting through movies like EMI, Hello, Drona...can be worse than capital punishment...but its an experience in itself.

Movies I've enjoyed watching...
Ghajini, Rock On!!, Aamir, 1920, Mithya, A Wednesday, U Me Aur Hum, Dostana, Jodhaa Akbar, Heroes, Jaaney Tu Ya Jaaney Naa, Sarkar Raaj, Singh is King, Shaurya, Ek Vivaah Aisa Bhi and Mukhbir.

My top 5 of 2008:

1. Ghajini: Fast paced, Aamir in a totally different look and role, great music, loud action(which is a requirement of the movie), refreshing romance, a perfect antagonist in Pradeep Rawat.
Best Scenes:
(i) Aamir waking up in the morning trying to recall who/where he is? Removes his T-shirt to reveal his body and the tatoos in slow mo....screaming.
(ii) Ghajini (Pradeep) holding the rod with Asin lying on the floor. Aamir looking from a distance helplessly.
(iii) Aamir is tied to a chair while the cop searches for the 2006 diary. Suddenly Aamir wakes up and the fight that follows is amazingly picturized and choreographed.

Weakness:
Aamir's clothes were too bright and fashionable for a corporate honcho.
**********************************************************************************

11 comments:

Arobindo said...

Gajni -- I still have to see it.. the action is quite southy as I can see from the promos...actually not one of my top 5's however definitely watchable...as per the worst...may god rest his soul but I will not...leave the soul of director of Hello rest

As per the best in 2008 Mithya is sure shot chart buster

Sanjit said...

I saw the Tamil Ghajini today...thanks to Sun TV and unavailability of Hindi channels. Everything is same except for the last 30-40 min...The hindi one is still better.fouglyto

Subhadip said...

Nice start to this blog. Although, it does look like incomplete! Is it?

I saw the hindi Ghajini, but there are enough loop-holes in the movie / plot / direction for me to shun it.

Hats off to you for watching 90% of the movies released. That too, when you were there in the US for a long time! Tui-i parish!

Sanjit said...

Shubu: Just because its an Aamir Khan movie we expect it to be realistic. But its a masala movie with obvious flaws and it should be viewed that way. Dont judge it based on his last movie TZP. For me it was a good movie watching experience..typical bollywood stuff with good music, romance, action and brilliant performance...wholesome entertainment.

I'll complete the list soon...

Aro..."Action is quite Southy"....yaar if you can enjoy the action of movies like Matrics, Hero, innumerable Chinenese movies where they fly like birds (giving heart attach to Newton in his grave)...dont condemn coz its an indian movie.

"Slumdog Millionaire" won 4-6 Golden globe becasue its been directed by a white guy and TZP is out of the race for Oscars.

Arobindo said...

Nah I enjoy the Rajnis as well as Mithun Movies, I do not like action only because it is angreji... I did not feel the novelty of action as I have seen these kind of action movies as well...

Whether TZP was better than Slumdog Millionaire or because it was made by an angrez I do not know...I have to see Slumdog Millionaire to argue

~ ॐ ~ said...

I hated Ghajini... totally !!! par I am hooked on to this blog to read more, coz as far as I know this is going to tell me more about movies than anything else !!!

good start bro... keep it coming !!!

~ ॐ ~ said...

and your blog does not have a RSS feed enabled... enable it in the properties please so that I can link it up in my RSS reader !

Sanjit said...

Aro: Mithun is in a different league...watch these if you can and ur perspective will change if not already..Rukhsat, Prem Pratigya, Titli(Bengali),Jallad(playing a negative character "Amawas")

Subhadip said...

I didn't judge it as an Aamir Khan movie... I said "loop-holes in movie / plot / direction", not acting. Let me give you a few examples...

a) Asin goes around with this corporate honcho, but doesn't get to know he is the real Sanjay Singhania?

b) In the movie hall scene, all the goons carried fire-arms, but in the last action sequence, not a single gun. They gave it to get a dry clean, or what?

c) When Asin rescued the girls in the train, she took the girls back to Mumbai. How realistic is that!

Sanjit said...

Prashant: Thanks man...I tried to enable RSS feed...not sure if its working.

Shubu > How many girls know or have seen photo of Vijay Maliya's son...ho bhi sakta hai...That Asin couldn't find out that he is actually Sanjay adds that emotional touch to the plot and u feel for the lady and hate the villian even more.
But you have points and i agree, but it was an enjoyable watch for me.

~ ॐ ~ said...

Its working now bro !!!